6.05.2008

Summer vacation: I can go wild!

So, the one thing about being a crazed teacher that I dislike is that I don't really have any free time to keep up with this phenomenon I hear some people still experience called "reading for pleasure." This school year, I read Romeo and Juliet four times, but all of the Joyce Carol Oates remained untouched on my bookshelves.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't give up the mission entirely; however, books that would normally take me a week to read suddenly took me months as I snuck in a few pages between grading research papers (while drinking wine), planning lessons (while drinking wine), and editing comma splices and faulty parallelism (while drinking massive amounts of wine). I found that reading in rushed intervals made it hard to enjoy the actual material. Or, maybe the books just sucked (sorry Cat's Cradle).

Now I am on summer vacation, and I'm excited to read like a madwoman. That is why I borrowed American Psycho (pun intended) to kick off the string of easy, breezy reads. It's great. Just last night before bed, Patrick Bateman gouged out a homeless man's eyes and beat his dog to death. Today, he beat up a coupla prostitutes. Soon, I anticipate an exciting episode with a chainsaw.

Shakespeare ain't got nothing on Bret Easton Ellis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home