2.12.2007

The kids aren't alright...

Last night, Cheers Heavy and I went to The Shins concert in St. Louis. It was shocking at the number of high school aged kids at the concert. What was even more shocking was the number of junior high aged kids at the concert. I went to a lot of concerts back in 6th and 7th grade, but nothing ever as cool as The Shins and certainly not without parental supervision.

Let's look past the fact that these unattended, easily influenced children could have easily scored their first cigarette or cup of beer. That's an obvious consequence of letting your children go unaccompanied to a rock concert.

Let's talk about the behavior of these children. Sure, I guess they are much cooler than I was in 6th grade. I was going to concerts like MC Hammer and Boyz II Men. Never Warrant or EMF. But, I never acted as embarrassingly as they made me feel for them last night.

These kids EMBARRASSED me.

Viva Voce was the opener and they begun with a quite literal song entitled "We Don't Fuck Around." They also reprised their (to me, unnecessary) proclamation of their bad-assity at the end of their set. They sing the word "fuck," like, 53 times throughout this song. Fine, little kids are hearing the F-bomb dropped right and left. I'm sure they've heard - and said - worse.

But, then this little squirt who couldn't have been more than 11 stands up next to me when The Shins come out on stage and screams, "Yeah! We don't fuck around!" Shut up. Just stop it. You are not cool.

And there were three teenage girls performing choreographed routines to "Phantom Ship" and another couple who dove into some fancy footwork. Again, stop it. This isn't the high school prom of your dreams. We don't bust out planned moves at rock concerts. I'm embarrassed for you.

Oh, and there were plenty of twerps wearing their newly purchased concert tees over the clothes they already wore to the concert. Seriously, someone needs to tell them.

I kept telling Cheers Heavy that I did not act like that. I didn't smoke or sip on a Bartles & James either. But, after much contemplation in the last 24 hours, I've determined that I was still cooler than those twerps were back in the day.

I'm pretty sure of it.

3 Comments:

Blogger MJS said...

The Shins are to the early 21st century what Dave Matthews Band was to the late 20th century what tin pan alley was to the 19th century ... and so on.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Dinner said...

mjs, that is total BS.

Jamar and Brian aren't all right either.

4:37 PM  
Blogger quank said...

i've never been to a dave show, so i guess i'm making up for missed experiences!

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home