9.19.2006

How Cheers Heavy almost got his ass kicked by a professional athlete...

Last Thursday, Matt and I attended the first anniversary party of InsideSTL. There were many pro athletes on hand to celebrate the site's 1st birthday, along with the 2nd birthday of "The Morning Grind," an AM radio show that the site's creator co-hosts.

Jim Edmonds taped a radio interview during a live broadcast of the show. (The show was aired the following morning...a crucial point in the master plan so that the co-hosts could get sufficiently drunk that night without the burden of a 5 AM wake up call).

After a brief interview with the co-hosts, questions went to the audience; anyone could ask whatever he or she wanted. However, everyone was pretty shy. They were holding back and basically ignoring the guy with the mic.

But, not old Cheers Heavy. He decided to ask, with some heavy duty prompting from The Cat, "Where can I get my own Jim Edmonds half-shirt?" (You see, Edmonds is notorious for cutting off the bottoms of his t-shirts and letting his tummy run wild. He gets a ton of shit for it. And he can't take a joke.)

Edmonds immediately gave Matt the ole stank eye and proceeded to mutter "sweet nothings" to him from his perch onstage. We were a little ner-vi.

Later, Edmonds girlfriend and baby mama (who is my childhood friend) asked me to come over and meet Jimmy Ballgame/Radio/Half-shirt. I was slightly embarrassed that Matt was at my side. Or again, maybe just a titch bit nervous.

Much later, Matt and Edmonds meet in the men's bathroom.

Matt: "Half-shirt?"

Edmonds: "Yeah."

Matt: "The Cat told me to do it. He said it would be good for the show!"

Edmonds: "I figured as much."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home