7.07.2006

Tony Toni Tone missed this shindig...

I randomly began watching The Anniversary Party late last night on TV. All I previously knew about this movie was that Alan Cumming starred, and he had some hand in getting it made.

Similar to Closer, this flick took me on an emotional roller coaster ride. I don't know if I've ever seen such intense acting, particularly during a scene with Cumming and Jennifer Jason Leigh near the end. I'm honestly not sure how they could put themselves through that mess in order to create the film, especially scene after scene.

Anyway, the cast is awesome: Cumming, Leigh, Jennifer Beals, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kevin Kline, John C. Reilly, Phoebe Cates, Parker Posey...Sadie Frost in a photograph. (Haven't you always wondered why the hell she is famous? I mean, besides being Jude Law's ex-wife).

The plot takes place all in one night, a la The Breakfast Club. It has the feel of similar ensemble movies like The Big Chill, with a baby boomer cast of characters. In fact, Kline's role in Party seems like a direct nod to that formula. But, it is revealed that perhaps these representatives of that partying era have at last seen their day, as they are individually juxtaposed with a member of Gen X who is also a guest at the party.

Check out Ebert's review from 2001.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home