7.24.2006

I can see Clearly now...

I've never been one to stand high on my soapbox, preaching about the evils of big corporations. By nature, I root for the underdog. So, of course, I like the corner music stores, dive bars, and off-the-beaten-path restaurants. But, I still shop at Best Buy from time to time, and I love my Grande Cafe Mochas from Starbucks. I won't pretend as if I purposely avoid the big guys. If you consider that I removed myself from Corporate America so that I could rack up huge amounts of student loan debt and someday become a underpaid teacher, I think my innate values are easy to understand.

However, I will take this opportunity to poke fun at Clear Channel. I am positive that there are readers of this blog much more insanely passionate toward their hatred for radio. But, I am also guessing that you haven't heard the ridiculous advertisements ran on each of Clear Channel's six St. Louis metro area stations during these days after the horrible storms and subsequent power outages. What a way to toot your own horn.

It goes something like this: "In times of desperation, in times of disaster, Clear Channel brings people together. St. Louis has been ravaged by horrendous weather conditions over the past five days, and we want to take advantage of the situation to its fullest. We know that radio is the only medium with the ability to communicate to those who have lost power, and we have done a fan-fucking-tastic job of letting you know the obvious: your lights are off, your food is rotting, and you are pissed. It is an amazing thing to see six very different radio stations band together, despite catering to largely different socioeconomic and racial backgrounds, in order to let all of our listeners know that we pretty much rule the world. Thanks for listening. Kiss our ass."

Really? How has this been spun into a giant pat on the back for Clear Channel? I guess I'm not surprised, but if you could only hear the serious voiceover and dramatic pauses during these spots, you'd laugh out loud. I did.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dinner said...

Your mayor must like shitty radio.

CC Press Release:

Clear Channel-St. Louis Named Business of the Year by the City of St. Louis

St. Louis, MO – Clear Channel-St. Louis was recently named Business of the Year during the Mayor’s Annual Business Celebration luncheon.

The Business of the Year awards are presented to businesses that have made special commitments to or investments in the city. Factors for selection include job creation, job retention, capital investment and contributing to the diversity of businesses in St. Louis. Clear Channel-St. Louis recently consolidated its operations in the city by leasing a 55,000 square foot facility which houses 330 employees.

Mayor Francis G. Slay presented the award to Lee Clear, RVP/Market Manager, Clear Channel-St. Louis.

8:24 AM  
Blogger creeperjam said...

mmmmmmm.....my doctor told me to take my blood pressure at least 48 hours prior to talking about clear channel.

8:35 PM  
Blogger BD said...

Seriously, when is Clear Channel going to unleash their secret army of Cyborgs?

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home