7.31.2006

Get me the hell off the bus, Gus...

Yesterday was one of the weirdest/longest/funniest/most annoying days I've had in awhile. Well, since the first night our power went out, which really wasn't that long ago. I felt like I was in the movie The Money Pit, or some other flick where everything goes wrong.

I was in Chicago this weekend, and I had a pretty great bus ride up to the Windy City. Uneventful, which equals great. I slept the majority of the time, I was chilled by the blasting A/C, and I got into the city on time.

Yesterday was Bizarro Bus Day, apparently. I was dropped off at Union Station at 3:30 PM for my 4:00 bus. Three other Megabuses came and went immediately, so all of my fellow passengers and I thought that the St. Louis bus would follow very shortly. Oh no, we waited there until 5:30 PM before a bus showed up to take us anywhere. I asked the bus driver what happened, and she said that the bus she intended to take did not have A/C. It wasn't working. So, it was between the bus we were on, which had a weird beeping sound, or another bus that didn't have A/C. Well, considering my jeans were rolled up to my thighs and I wiped sweat off my brow the entire 5 and a half hour ride home, I'm pretty sure the new bus didn't have A/C either.

We stopped south of Bloomington at a different rest stop than on my way up. After a fulfilling meal of chips for dinner, the bus moved about 25 feet before getting straight up stuck in a pothole that pretty much resembled a small pond. I was ready to cast my rod and pull out a catfish for dinner. Please tell me how this bus driver lady did not see this crater.

Everyone had to get off the bus again. We sat around and looked at each other for about 45 minutes. Most passengers called their rides back in St. Louis to tell them of their new arrival time. Me? No, my cell phone stopped working while in Chicago. I had nothing to do to kill time except take pictures of potholes and truckers.

When we finally got back on the bus, after a nice trucker towed our bus out, some boisterous lady (who originally I thought I would hate) busted out champagne, Hot Damn, and cigarettes from her bag for anyone interested. Everyone politely declined to drink after a stranger, but I thought it was a nice gesture. Father of the Bride played most of the way home. Although I couldn't hear any of the words, it was nice to take a break from my book to see Martin Short in full wedding planner mode. That Franc.

I got home around midnight.

I am scheduled to use Megabus again when I fly out to San Francisco from Chicago in about a week and a half. Has anyone used this company? Is this the norm? Or do the gods think my life isn't interesting enough, so they plan catastrophes like this to give me something to blog about?

1 Comments:

Blogger Dinner said...

You can't expect perfection for a dollar...

Unless of course you are talking about Wendy's 99 cent value menu...

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home