6.15.2006

Your call to duty.

As you may or may not know, I am currently writing pro bono and sans gratis for Inside STL for the "STL Ladies" section. I took a look at the "STL Music" section today, and I noticed that it hadn't been updated since the first of the month, a la Bone Thugs in Harmony. So, I e-mailed one of the head guys and asked if they needed any support. I got an e-mail back that said "YES! HELP!"

Which is where all of you come in...

But first, to get you pumped up. I am currently reading A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby, my first venture into "dick lit." A recently read passage made me think of all my psycho music nazi friends:

(Four "friends" listening to Nick Drake; three for the first time ever)

"But he's such a drip," she said. "He's like, I dunno, a poet or something." This was meant to be an insult: I was spending my days with someone who thought that poets were creatures you might find living in your lower intestine.

"I don't mind it," said Martin. "I wouldn't walk out if he was playing in a wine bar."

"I would," said Jess.

I wondered whether it would be possible to punch both of them out simultaneously, but rejected the idea on grounds that it would all be over too quickly, and there wouldn't be enough pain involved. I'd want to keep on pummeling them after they were down, which would mean doing them one at a time. It's music rage, which is like road rage, only more righteous. When you get road rage, a tiny part of you knows you're being a jerk, but when you get music rage, you're carrying out the will of God, and God wants these people dead.

Ok, now, the task at hand. I'd like to put together an article of sorts about summer singles that everyone should be listening to...but you know, not the new Christina or T Pain or any shit. You can comment here on the bloggy blog or e-mail me. I will do my best to call you out by name or description and include good quotes if you give them, as an incentive to get your name in lights. Then maybe thirty or forty more people will know you as a person with excellent musical taste.

2 Comments:

Blogger B. Solomon said...

I like the Tapes 'n Tapes CD a lot...took a few listens, but it's dope.

And The Perishers for really dope chill-rock - the first song's lyrics begin:

"We met at a place where people go to get laid."

The song is "A Reminder" off the album Let There Be Morning.

But it's so slow and soft, you almost pass over what they are singing about.

7:55 AM  
Blogger creeperjam said...

'Almost Summer' by Jason Collett

An ode to school letting out and a public service announcement to all the young ladies out there. Smoke dope, knock back the southern comfort but please, moderation. Cause guys are dicks and you just may wake up on your neighbors lawn.

If that is too depressing, off the same album check "Hangover Days' or crank 'I'll Bring the Sun' with the windows down.

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home