5.15.2006

A true phenomenon explained...

Have you ever wondered how "The Wave" gets started in big baseball stadiums?

As I said yesterday, I celebrated Mother's Day with the Quankie clan at the Cards vs. Diamondbacks game. We sat in right, just 15 rows off the field. At the beginning of the 8th inning, a girl stood up and yelled, "I know you guys are watching the Cardinals, but we're gonna start 'The Wave.' It has to start in this section. It just has to!!!" She counted to three and our section simultaneously threw our arms up in the air and whooed. Some people even stood up. And around and around the stadium it went until the half-inning was over.

I've never been part of the section that actually originates "The Wave," but I've always wondered who succeeds in getting it started. I can now see that it takes a sports-loving female in a Cards ball cap, with a commanding speaking voice and a lot of balls. And I don't mean baseballs.

1 Comments:

Blogger creeperjam said...

shoot, that is all me and my friends used to do is try to start the wave at phillies games when i was a kid. on the rare occasion we succeeded. so it is either alcohol induced or having the stupidity of a ten year old!

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home