4.24.2006

The ninja and his screamin' eagle...

It's odd how one day can totally differ from the next.

Yesterday, I was late to work because I got a bloody nose literally right before I walked out the door. That knocked me back about 20 years. I used to get nosebleeds all the time when I was a young lass. On my way to work, the wiring around my rearview mirror started smoking. I pulled over on Highway 40 to prepare for the potential bonfire that my car was sure to become. But, I stopped at Schnucks to first buy some ingredients for S'mores. It was only a blown fuse but still scary. I was pretty late to work by this time, and I wasn't in the right state of mind to deal with bitchy customers.

Sidenote: We have a number system in the shoe slangin' store that we adhere to when the business is booming and the traffic won't quit. My least favorite joke is perhaps the one the customers who walk into a dead store, with five bored shoe slangers standing around, tell. "Do I need to take a number? Heh, heh, heh." Wow, lady, I've never heard that one before. Sometimes I actually find myself talking customers out of buying anything. "Noooo, it doesn't look like you need to replace those shoes." Or, "Size 16? The selection is really bad. Go somewhere else." Or, "Chronic back pain? Nothing we have will be cushioned enough for you." I'm in the phase on the track where I just whizzed down the tummy-tickling hill, and now I'm coming to a slow halt.

Today, I woke up with another bloody nose. I thought the pissy mood would continue. But, then I found out my student teaching placement for this fall, and I got my first choice. I hit the mall for some retail therapy. I bought a nice bookshelf for all the good reads I've racked up during my stint as an English/Education grad student. I knocked out a response paper to "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" in about 2.5. I made a pump [smack your fist in your hand] you up playlist on the iPod and worked out like a crazy woman.

Will tomorrow be a decent thrill ride, or will it make me puke up my funnel cake?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home