4.04.2006

It's a living (for right now)...

While my job at the shoe slangin' store is in the retail arena...there are some really good/interesting things about it, other than the obvious discount on gear.

1. The TV is tuned into sports all day long. So, if I'm at work, I can still watch televised Cards' games, March Madness, and SportsCenter until my heart's content. My boss understands - even promotes - lingering at the screen while Pujols is up to bat before heading back to the stock room to grab a customer's shoes.

2. We have satellite radio in the back stock room. Most of the time, the station is on classic rock. But sometimes a co-worker will get a wild hair and tune into the 80s station. Then, we have Dance Party USA in between customers.

3. You never know who you are going to meet. I've sold shoes to Tino Martinez and Tori Holt. I once slanged to a man who tried to create a Marketing position at Purina for me. It didn't work, but it was a nice gesture.

4. You never know who you are going to meet...and what that person's ailment might be. Just yesterday, I helped a man who took his entire prosthetic leg off so I could put a shoe on the foot and lace it up. That was sort of surreal. Diabetes, braces, broken bones, hammertoes, missing toenails, arthritis, walkers, wheelchairs, stanky feet...I've seen it all, and amazingly, it has become no big deal.

5. Moms come in with their kids, and I love to dive in and whisk them off to the toy bin in the corner. Last week, I had a 2-, 4-, and 6-year old surrounding me while I read them 101 Dalmations. I was in kid heaven. You know, without the incessant crying, boogers, and dirty diapers.


So, aside from bitchy customers who make it their mission to put me in an awful mood, the job isn't too bad. Being a full-time grad student, it's hard to keep up with the rest of my life because I work, but I feel as though I must. So, why not slang shoes?

2 Comments:

Blogger B. Solomon said...

which kind of satellite radio do you have in the back? xm or sirius?

10:10 AM  
Blogger quank said...

don't get me wrong - i hate a lot of it. but, for a part-time job i HAVE to have, it's the best i've found. better hours than a mall, flexible boss, don't have to wear the latest clothing on the floor (i.e. don't have to spend the majority of my paychecks to dress head to toe in j.crew clothing), nice perks all over the place (since i've started, i've received a free pair of hiking boots, sunglasses, 991s, tons of socks, workout gear, etc.) the worst part is the horrible, mean, rotten customers.

and i'm not sure what kind of satellite radio we have...

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home