3.02.2006

Throwback Thursday

Any current or former student knows that when you're in school full-time, the weekend officially starts on Thursday evening. Even if I have to work at 9 AM on Friday, I still consider the moment I step out of class on Thursday night to be the start of my weekend. I've found the best way to celebrate my supposed (but not real, not by a long shot) freedom is to listen to the "Throwback Thursday" mix on 100.3 The Beat on the drive home from class.

This evening, the DJ only played songs by female artists or girl groups. We're talking "I'm So Into You" by SWV, "Don't Walk Away" by Jade, "Aint Too Proud to Beg" by TLC, "Shoop" by Salt 'n Pepa, "Hey Mr. DJ" by Zhané, "No, No, No" by Destiny's Child and so forth. Those were my JAMS back in the day. Fellow listeners were calling in, telling the DJs that they were about to pull their cars over. That's how good the mix was, folks.

I don't know what it was about this kind of R&B in junior high, but I barely listened to anything else...except rap. That's pure craziness, considering I grew up in a small town in Southern Illinois. On rainy nights, my radio could pick up 107.9, otherwise known as MAJIC 108, in St. Louis. I would tape whatever rap I could get my hands on...2Pac, Das EFX, Digable Planets, etc.

My mom took me to all the concerts: Hammer, Shai, Silk, Boyz II Men, Bel Biv Devoe (that wasn't raunchy AT ALL), En Vogue, Brandy, Janet Jackson... I honestly have no idea what my problem was.

But, it sure is fun to go back and hear those songs. And PS - isn't it amazing how one has the ability to bust out the lyrics as soon as the song comes on the radio, despite the fact that one hasn't heard the song in maybe a decade? The brain is an amazing thing.

So, to start my weekend the right way, I'm putting my MTV Party To Go: 5 CD in the player right now. It has great dance remixes for SWV's "Weak" and Tag Team's "Whoomp! There It is." And I think I've got Zhané somewhere around here, too. Unless I passed it on to my mom.

Happy weekend!

2 Comments:

Blogger Dinner said...

Wow, those too were my jams back in the day.

True or False? Dinner's first CDs were TLC "Ooooooh On The TLC Tip," En Vogue "Funky Divas," Boyz 2 Men "II," Slik "Lose Control" and Shai "If I Ever Fall in Love."

True Dat. Double True.

9:39 AM  
Blogger MJS said...

I dig the description of scanning the radio dial during late rainy nights trying to find that big city rap station. Reminds me of that Velvet Underground song, "Rock 'n' Roll."

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home