3.04.2006

Thank you, Michael Seaver...

I just finished taking my Praxis II test, which is the teacher certification test for the state of Missouri. I feel pretty positive about the experience. But like any true perfectionist, I drove straight home from the test so that I could research the correct answers to questions that were difficult.

There was a particular question that briefly described an American play, and the test taker needed to select the title of the play from four choices. The description was something to the effect of "a 1950s African-American family who moved to Chicago," yada yada...

I was able to narrow down my choices to two contenders: A Raisin in the Sun and Our Town. I had previously read or seen the other two options.

I was pretty sure that it was A Raisin in the Sun. Sean Combs/Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/Diddy make his Broadway debut in that play. Thankfully, I remembered that Michael Seaver won the lead role for a high school rendition of Our Town during a very pivotal episode of Growing Pains. That was when dear Mike decided once and for all to try and become a professional actor once he graduated. And PS - no one on Growing Pains was African-American. That sealed the deal.

One more correct answer on the road to becoming certifiable...

Trivia fo dat ass: The title A Raisin in the Sun is derived from Langston Hughes' poem "Dream Deferred."

4 Comments:

Blogger MJS said...

True or False ... My older brother taped every episode of "Growing Pains" and staunchly, often violently, ensured those tapes would never be taped over.

True.

And yes, those tapes still exist.

12:59 PM  
Blogger BD said...

True or False.

1. Chicago Rapper Common, on his album "Like Water For Chocolate" claims in "6th Sense" that he has "seen street dreams deferred".

True.

2. In doing so, he is shouting-out Hughes' Chicago-based "A Raisin in the Sun".

I wouldn't doubt it.

3. I was listening to that track when I titled the-photo-dump post "I've Seen Street Dreams Deferred".

Best believe.

4. This is BD's idea of a good time?

Yes.

4:42 PM  
Blogger quank said...

sorry, i'm a know it all: lorraine hansberry actually wrote "a raisin in the sun." but she's from chicago, too, so big ups to her.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Dinner said...

Street dreams are made of these

Shorties on they knees, for niggaz with big G's

Who am I to disagree?

Everybody's lookin for somethin..

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home