3.29.2006

Elmer, Jan, and Bambi's mom

I drove to C-town today. On my way home, once I exited the interstate in favor of backroads, I noticed how many lawn ornaments my fellow Southern Illinoisians display in their front yards. I definitely think that a huge ceramic doe standing guard over her fawn is...how shall we say...a little tacky. (I apologize to any of you who have lawn ornaments or family members who proudly own lawn ornaments). However, thinking about said lawn ornaments subsequently made me think about something I used to love to do as a child...and it's one of those memories that I haven't thought about in a good, long while so that makes it extra special.

Until I was 8 and a half, I lived in Herrin, Illinois. We didn't really have any neighbors, except for Elmer and Jan. They ran a business that actually created and sold ceramic lawn ornaments. Their entire front yard was a who's who of the most popular decorative pieces. When I was 5 and 6, I'd to trek to their home (our houses were spaced very far apart, that's why I say we didn't really have any neighbors) and browse through their maze of various sized squirrels, gnomes, birdbaths, deer, toadstools, rabbits, and the like. Sometimes Jan would let me watch her paint the rascals. You can imagine how a 5 year old girl's imagination would run away with her at a place like this. I thought it was so cool. Looking back now, I think it's "so weird" (using my best Travolta voice).

Also, I remember I walked over to Elmer's one time and my little boots got stuck in the mud. I couldn't move at all. I just stood there until someone found me.

1 Comments:

Blogger MJS said...

I prefer a good gnome.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home