2.19.2006

Adding to the musical canon...

After Darren, aka Dinner (pictured left), posted a snoop bloggy blog entry about his penchant for New Wave 80s music a couple of weeks ago, it got me thinking about my own 80s library. I decided I wanted to make a good playlist of 80s songs that "translate," if you will, to 2006. Meaning, if the songs were released today, you wouldn't know the difference (or I suppose MIND the difference). Some popular bands/artists in the 80s are still making music, anyhow.

Here's what I've got so far:

Pretty in Pink - Psychedelic Furs
Kiss Them For Me - Siouxsie and the Banshees
What Have I Done to Deserve This? - Pet Shop Boys
Bring on the Dancing Horses - Echo and the Bunnyman
Pictures of You - The Cure
More Than This - Peter Gabriel
What You Need - INXS
Luka - Suzanne Vega
Just Like Honey - The Jesus and Mary Chain
Voices Carry - 'Til Tuesday
The One I Love - REM
Veronica - Elvis Costello
What I Am - Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians

I even looked up these songs to make sure they were released in the 80s. After all, making a playlist is three parts artistic and one part scientific. Your homework is to respond with suggestions. I realize that there is a whole heap of songs by The Cure or REM or whomever that could be included. I just picked the ones that were my favorites.

Get to work, class.

3 Comments:

Blogger B. Solomon said...

Depeche Mode - "Personal Jesus" translates pretty well (I think at least) especially if you compare it to "Pain that I'm used to," their latest work.

"London" by Pet Shop Boys still works too...though I think anything they produced could work.

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" by U2 could fit into the Bloc Party crowd pretty decently.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Dinner said...

Hmmm, Cook, those are some good tracks... Would you perhaps like to have an 80's music cross pollenation burning party? In the interest of expanding 80's catalogs and reconnecting with the foundation of so much of the tunes we rock today, I think it would be a good idea...

Matt doesn't gots to know about it.

Haha - I like the Edie Brickell one. That video used to freak me out. Why does she crouch so much?

And my contrib to your list...

Echo and the Bunnymen - "The Cutter" People alwyas say that Interpol rips Joy Division. I say Interpol rips, if anyone, Echo and the Bunnymen. Either way, It's rad.

11:27 PM  
Blogger MJS said...

Anything by the Talking Heads is timeless.

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home