1.29.2006

She said, "I think I remember that film..."

Last night, I was privileged enough to do two of my favorite things: spend time with one of my favorite married couples, Britt and Rodney (or “Brod” as the Parkdale community often calls them) and see a fantastic movie. Around Christmastime, my interest in Truman Capote peaked again, when I reread one of my favorite short stories “A Christmas Memory.” Brod (see the pic), the thoughtful friends that they are, gave me In Cold Blood for my 26th birthday. And I’ve been pushing Breakfast at Tiffany’s on Matt for about a month now. So, my Capote fascination, coupled with Rodney’s man-crush on Philip Seymour Hoffman and Britt’s need to see a movie under two hours in length so her approximately 8-month pregnant body doesn’t understandably endure some sort of head-to-toe cramp, led us to see Capote at Frontenac Plaza.

Sidenote: I always feel the need (but never respond to that need) to dress for success at Frontenac since it’s the home of the Saks, Neiman’s, Louis Vuitton, etc. stores in St. Louis. I feel like I get the evil eye from the ladies who lunch when I show up makeup-less and in tennis shoes to browse the only J. Crew in the Lou. But, really the small town girl in me wants to look like hell just to piss them off. Britt and Rodney supported my usual venture, without discussing it first with me, by wearing comfy pants because all of their regular pants were being laundered. However, Rodney looked richly casual in an outfit that screamed Juicy Couture. Are you shopping at Saks behind my back?

Anyhoo, I don’t want to give the movie away; I just want to highly recommend it. Philip Seymour Hoffmann is amazing, along with Clifton Collins, Jr. who plays one of the killers whom Capote based his novel In Cold Blood. The juxtaposition (yeah, I said it) of Hoffmann’s flamboyant Truman Capote and the rural Kansas cornfields where he researches the crime is fantastic. This man was a character! In Cold Blood was the first, or one of the first, non-fiction novels. According to the movie, it forever changed the way authors wrote. In my humble opinion, it probably also unfortunately contributed to the phenomena of glorifying criminals (see: Natural Born Killers) and the race to publish the first book or produce the first made-for-TV movie for any given headlining criminal act in the US: Tonya Harding, Lorena Bobbitt, Scott Peterson…

I can’t discuss it further without giving it away, so just promise me you’ll see the damn movie. If nothing else, it’s fun to have someone to root for on Oscar night. Nominations are announced on Tuesday morning. PSH all the way, baby.


Unrelated, Minnesota killed Indiana today for their first conference win. And I just think that’s funny.

4 Comments:

Blogger MJS said...

The small-town girl wants to dress down while going to this bougie mall, and yet you're remiss each time you go there sans makeup and donning tennis shoes ---- walking contradiction indeed (albeit a lovely and charming one).

As for Capote, I like the whole vilification of the writer theme. By the end you aren't sure who's worse, the killers or Capote.

4:17 PM  
Blogger quank said...

mjs, totally, totally agree with your comment on the movie. well put.

4:32 PM  
Blogger B. Solomon said...

Indiana might be playing bad enough for Mike Davis to get fired - and Steve Alford (my childhood idol) to get the top job...in which case, this loss is a GREAT SUCCESS!

6:49 PM  
Blogger quank said...

it's from some horrible early 90s song called "breakfast at tiffany's." deep blue something maybe was the band? or did i just make that up?

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home