1.31.2006

Little golden naked guys...

Oscar nominations were announced this morning. Speaking ignorantly because I haven't seen all of the nominated films...I will say I'm surprised here and there. Random musings:

Crash was nominated for Best Picture; I thought the film was thought-provoking and a really cool idea, but it missed a titch. Great acting, though.

Jen, the bad girl from the Creek was nominated for Best Supporting Actress (Michelle Williams). I thought a year ago Katie Holmes was on that path; now she's carrying the devil's spawn and hanging out with Victoria Beckham.

What is this Junebug movie?

Batman Begins for cinematography? I almost puked during the first fifteen minutes because the camera work made me so nauseous. Or was that Katie Holmes as an assistant DA? Probably both.

I hereby state that my day has been made perfect because "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from Hustle & Flow was nominated for best song. That's my jam.

Reese Witherspoon as June Carter-Cash all the way for Best Actress. I love incorporating her movie quote "You can't walk no line" into my everyday speech. With a thick Southern drawl that fortunately or unfortunately comes pretty easily.

And you know I'm going PSH and Capote for Best Actor and Best Picture.

K, so I've got over a month to catch up on the flicks I've not yet seen...

More Oscar conversation. The following is a 7:45 AM debate between Matt and me when he picked me up at Josh's to take me to my apartment this morning. (Why, you ask? Oh, don't worry, I worked last night at the shoe-slangin' store and managed to lock my car keys and my apartment key inside the building after we closed. It wasn't annoying at all. I got a ride from a co-worker so I could bunk up with Josh, Darren, and Toral for the evening. More hitched rides and spare key borrowing ensues today so I can live life normally once again). Matt has a strong hatred for all things Hillary Swank, and that includes her estranged hubby, Chad Lowe (aka Becca's boyfriend on Life Goes On). He is still pissed almost 7 years later for her triumph over Annette Bening to win the Best Actress Oscar for Boys Don't Cry. You know the Academy Awards loves anything gender-bending, weight gaining, prosthetic nose wearing, or ahem...mentally challenged. I don't have a strong opinion of this, despite the fact that American Beauty is one of my favorite movies and obviously Annette "I will sell this house today" Bening was freaking awesome in it. But, I also saw Boys Don't Cry, and man, Hillary Swank was ugly in that movie.

What say you, the movie-going public? The female Karate Kid vs. the president's bi-otch?

4 Comments:

Blogger quank said...

other nominees in the category for this year:

1. "erroneous, erroneous!"
2. "whoop that trick!"
3. "you can't walk no line."
4. "you put the pussy on the pedestal." (i even offended myself just then).

another reason why "crash" can't win best picture...tony danza had a cameo. i hate that tap-dancing fool.

1:59 PM  
Blogger MJS said...

Indeed. Crash felt like a beat-you-over-the-head, racism is bad after school special.

Brokebutt Mountain should take home best pic in my opinion ... (let the belittling and gay allegations ensue).

Hardest category to determine winner: best original screenplay ... tough one between Woody Allen for Match Point or Noah Baumbach, the genius behind such movies as Kicking and Screaming (not the Will Farrell movie) and Life Aquatic, for his autobiographical opus The Squid and The Whale. After much deliberation my vote goes to Baumbach.

...nominee for best catchphrase -- from Squid and Whale -- "[The Tale of Two Cities] is minor Dickens." Says Jeff Daniels' character Bernard Berkman.

2:25 PM  
Blogger quank said...

did you mean to spell "divine" d-e-v-i-n-e? get back to your "work," crazy diatribe man. and by work, i mean your screenplay.

3:46 PM  
Blogger quank said...

oh and mjs, since you've seen both...should i see "brokeback mountain" or "the squid and the whale" next?

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home