1.27.2006

I drink better than I dance...

I realize that the recent death of Chris Penn is old news by now. But by God, I just started this blog, and he deserves to be mentioned. The only other person I know as shocked and bothered by his passing is my best friend Krat. See, we both adore the movie Footloose, and you can’t get any better than Willard’s learning-to-dance montage to “Let’s Hear It For The Boy.” (Except I will say that my personal favorite part of Footloose is when Kevin Bacon’s character, angry and pissed at the world, flees to an empty warehouse to dance away his frustrations. He throws his half-smoked cig on the ground and hurls his empty beer bottle at the wall. Then he starts the chicken dance.)

Let’s talk other top-notch movie dancing scenes in memory of Chris Penn.

The Full Monty – The guys are all in line at the job center place, and “Hot Stuff” by Donna Summer comes over the speakers. They start bobbing their heads. Gradually, they break out their choreographed routine. I can relate to this. Whenever I hear “Lucky Star” by Madonna, I bust out moves from a dance routine I did in 2nd grade.

Pretty in Pink – It’s Jon Cryer at his best. His character, Ducky, is in the record store where Molly Ringwald’s character works. He lip syncs and dances like a crazed maniac to “Try a Little Tenderness” by Otis Redding to show her that he cares. I want a guy to do that for me. Right now.

The Big Chill – I know a guy whose dream was fulfilled when a large group of people circled him on the dance floor while he grooved solo to “Billie Jean.” It is perhaps my dream to make a family meal with a bunch of friends while dancing around the kitchen to “Ain’t Too Proud To Beg” by The Temptations a la The Big Chill. Definitely in my top five favorite oldies list.

Napoleon Dynamite – I mean, if you want to pee your pants, watch this. If you want canned heat in your heels, listen to Jamiroquai.

The Breakfast Club – They all get high, and then they dance. And somehow, even their dance moves are representative of their unavoidable high school labels: the jock, the criminal, the princess, the brain, and the basketcase.


What are some of your favorites? Tell me, dear friends, in honor of Mr. Penn. Let’s hear it for the boy. Let’s give the boy a hand.

4 Comments:

Blogger BD said...

Great Question. I found you through Parkdale. Here's what I got:

Love Actually - Hugh Grant flutters his peepers as the prime minister, then does a victory jig to "Jump(For My Love)" after telling Billy Bob to get bent.

Life Aquatic - Steve Zissou clad in wet suit & diving helmet explains that Jacques Cousteau was the first to put radios in helmets. He then pumps up the techno-pop and does a little understated groove-shimmy that exudes coolness.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Dinner said...

Hustle and Flow - I really like the way D-Jay and and the crew get down with their baaaad selves when they lay down the verse for "Whoop Dat Trick" (Get 'Em). I know its mostly just hand waving but its pretty coo.

Blue Streak - Martin Lawrence (disguised as a pizza delivery man in a blue jumpsuit), after lifitng Luke Wilson's police ID, does a little number that involves ass shakin, loose ankles and knees and it is Scrumturlescent. This is my favorite "bad" movie. I love it and I'm not afraid to say it.

The Office (UK) - I know this is small screen, but I am convinced this is the best comic dancing scene ever. David Brendt (Ricky Gervais) performs a dance for charity dollars that leaves the rest of his employees speechless and the viewer in stitches. I won't even try to describe what he does, because I couldn't possibly do it justice. Go out and buy the DVD's if you haven't seen it. It is worth the money for this scene alone.

3:07 PM  
Blogger B. Solomon said...

David Brent's dancing is the shit. Thank you Katie for the Parkdale link...one good thing deserves another...so we shall recipriKate.

6:55 PM  
Blogger quank said...

i support the movie mentions (and tv...thank you, grady). love the mention of pulp fiction - how could i forget?? and love the mention of hugh grant in love actually. my mom was groovin' in her movie theater seat to that one.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home